Sunday, November 10, 2013

Week 7 - 620

I have been looking for an alternative workflow to 123D Catch due to some of limitations I've encountered. While the service does generate some nice results, it is a blackbox situation where I have little control over what is going on.
Blackbox

I have come across a separate workflow that relies entirely on open-source, free programs. VisualSFM (Structure from Motion) is a bundle of programs that can generate a point cloud from a series of photographs. This point-cloud can then sent to Meshlab in order to generate a polygonal mesh.  After many attempts, I have finally sent a sequence of photographs through the entire workflow to generate a model. One positive aspect of this workflow is that a single UV map is generated.
Sequence of Blackboxes





VisualSFM Interface - Dense Reconstruction

Dense Reconstruction in Meshlab

Polygonal Mesh in Meshlab

Final Mesh in Maya
Retopology

I have also begun generating some environmental assets for the future animation:






Hours
Research & Writing: 2 hr
Workflow Troubleshooting: 5 hrs
Asset Creation: 3 hr


No comments:

Post a Comment